Oven temperature has a significant impact on the quality and consistency of your baked goods. Industrial bakery oven profiling systems from Reading Thermal will help you bake your products to perfection.
Reading Thermal, headquartered in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, has been focused on investigating the commercial baking process for more than 25 years. We manufacture and support the state-of-the-art SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger that has become a standard in the baking industry.
Importance of Measuring Oven Temperature
Oven temperature causes physical and chemical reactions in dough/batter, and temperatures that are too low or too high during baking can lead to changes in fermentation and humidity levels and undesirable changes in surface coloring, texture and flavor.
If you produce bread, artisan bread, rolls, hamburger buns, cakes, biscuits, or other bread products, you know that several stages are temperature-dependent, such as oven-spring, drying/dehydration, and color formation. Too much heat coming from one direction in the oven can cause the bottoms of the loaves to burn before the crusts brown properly.
The benefits of oven temperature profiling include:
- Quick troubleshooting
- Better product quality, texture and shelf life
- Greater productivity
- Lower energy costs
- Helps ensure food safety and FSMA compliance
- Efficient development of new processes
Temperature Sensor Array
The Reading Thermal SCORPION® 2 Temperature Sensor Array measures temperature at product level, in fixed positions across the conveyor, to deliver an accurate representation of what your product is experiencing over time so that you can make changes that will improve your products.
There are two types of pluggable temperature sensors:
- Type A: This is an Air/Conveyor sensor designed to measure air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the surface temperature of the conveyor itself. It is designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors. One thermocouple in each pair measures air temperature while the other is spring-loaded down onto the conveyor surface.
- Type B: This is an Air/Air sensor that measures upper air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the temperature of the lower air that is rising through the conveyor. It was created for open mesh conveyors. The upper and lower thermocouples are separated by a thin shield.
The sensor array is connected to the SCORPION® 2 Data Logger and then travels through the oven with the product, yielding a precise picture of temperature from side-to-side and end-to-end.
Product-core-temperature measurements can also be made simultaneously via the product probe inputs on the sensor array. This can be the difference between excellent quality and an under-baked or burnt product.
Our state-of-the-art profiling system also provides an easy way to validate your kill step for food safety and FSMA compliance.
Get in touch with Reading Thermal to learn more about the importance of temperature profiling in industrial bakery oven systems, and how the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System can help you make adjustments that will achieve superior products. Contact us online or call us at (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2.