Monitoring and controlling the temperature in your production lines will help you produce superior products. The SCORPION® 2 Data Logger from Reading Thermal travels through your oven and yields a detailed profile of what the products are experiencing from side to side and end-to-end.
Reading Thermal, headquartered in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, is a product brand of Reading Bakery Systems. For more than 25 years, our heat transfer experts have manufactured and supported the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger, a standard in the baking industry.
Temperature profiling with the SCORPION® 2 gives you reliable data that will help you optimize your processes and make corrections when necessary.
The benefits include:
- More control over product quality
- More control over product consistency
- Improved productivity
- Improved shelf life
- Ensures food safety and FSMA compliance
- Reduction of energy consumption and costs
- Improved process repeatability
- Quick troubleshooting
Why Temperature Profiling is Important
The characteristics of your baked goods are determined by the heat applied to them while they are baking, and every oven bakes differently. The quality of your finished products will depend upon oven performance.
You may understand every other step in your manufacturing operation, but do you know what happens inside your oven?
Product level temperature in an oven can make the difference between the best quality and wasteful, under-baked, or burnt products. The processes of fermentation, product swelling, moisture evaporation, flavor development, and surface coloring are also time and temperature-dependent. For example:
- Too little heat can cause crusts to be brittle or dry,
- Too little heat can create products that are too light in color.
- Too little heat can create a structure that is too dense.
- Excess heat can cause the bottoms of the loaves to burn before the crusts brown correctly.
- Excess heat causes moisture to evaporate too rapidly and the dough to rise unevenly.
Pluggable Temperature Sensors
The SCORPION® 2 Temperature Sensor Array is connected to the SCORPION® 2 Data Logger and moves through the oven with the product, producing a precise picture of temperature. It measures temperature at the product level, in fixed positions across the conveyor, and denotes what your product experiences over time.
There are different types of pluggable sensors available. One is designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors and one is for open mesh conveyors:
- Type A: This Air/Conveyor sensor measures air temperature immediately above the conveyor and the surface temperature of the conveyor itself. It is designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors. One thermocouple in each pair measures air temperature while the other is spring-loaded down onto the conveyor surface.
- Type B: This Air/Air sensor measures the upper air temperature immediately above the conveyor and the lower air temperature rising through the conveyor. It was created for open mesh conveyors. A thin shield separates the upper and lower thermocouples.
Start optimizing the conditions in your commercial bakery ovens by using the temperature data logger from Reading Thermal. Call our headquarters in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania at (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2, or contact us online to learn more about our innovative products.