Are you experiencing inconsistent product quality, moisture retention, uneven bakes, or low production capacity? Don’t just place your dough in the oven and hope for the best. Temp and humidity data loggers from Reading Thermal will help you bake your products to perfection.
Headquartered in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, Reading Thermal’s heat transfer experts have been studying, measuring, and understanding the commercial baking process for 25+ years. We manufacture and support the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System which is a standard in the baking industry.
The SCORPION® 2 Data Logger is the ‘brain’ of the profiling system. It captures and stores profile data from the Smart Sensors that can be downloaded to a computer for display and analysis. It can capture data from up to 32 sensor/input channels as fast as 10 times per second and can be saved until the user chooses to delete them.
Why Temperature Profiling is Important?
Product level temperature throughout an oven can make the difference between optimum quality and throughput – and wasteful, under-baked, or burnt product. The process of fermentation, product swelling, moisture evaporation, flavor development, and surface coloring are all time and temperature dependent. For example:
- Too little heat while baking can result in brittle or dry crusts,
- Too little heat while baking can create products that are too light in color.
- Too little heat while baking can create a structure that is too dense.
- Too much heat while baking can cause the bottoms of the loaves to burn before the crusts brown correctly.
- Too much heat while baking causes moisture to evaporate too rapidly and the dough to rise unevenly.
If you produce bread, artisan bread, rolls, hamburger buns, cakes, biscuits, or other bread products, you understand that several stages of the process are temperature-dependent, including oven-spring, drying/dehydration, and color formation.
The Reading Thermal SCORPION® 2 Temperature Sensor Array is designed to measure temperature at product level, in fixed positions across the conveyor, and delivers a true representation of what your product is experiencing over time.
Why Humidity Profiling is Important?
Products passing through a thermal process interact with the amount of moisture in the environment. Much of this moisture comes from the products themselves and represents a delicate balance that can affect finished products in many ways. For example:
- High oven humidity can increase the volume of your baked goods.
- High oven humidity can lighten the crust color of baked goods.
- High oven humidity can soften crisp crusts and make crackers lose their crunch.
- Too little moisture in a finished product can directly affect breakage during the packaging process.
- Too little moisture can cause goods that should be soft and moist to overbake and become tough or dry.
- The amount of moisture left in a pretzel after baking will affect its shelf life.
Bakeries all over the world rely on the SCORPION® 2 Humidity Sensor to measure the absolute moisture content of the thermal environment in both heating and cooling processes. The sensor travels through the oven with the product, yielding a precise profile of moisture it experiences.
If you are interested in reliable temp and humidity data loggers, look no further than the state-of-the-art Reading Thermal SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and our exceptional sensors and sensor arrays. Contact us online, or call (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2 to explore our line of innovative products.