When you need help improving the quality of your baked products, consider the benefits of the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger from Reading Thermal. The powerful system enables you to monitor actual in-process conditions and get the critical oven temperature information you need to correct problems, maintain optimum process control, and meet food safety standards.
The heat transfer experts at Reading Thermal, headquartered in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, have been studying, measuring, and understanding the commercial baking process for over 25 years. We manufacture and support the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System which is a standard in the baking industry.
Why Temperature Profiling is Important
The quality of your finished products depends upon the performance of your oven. While you may know a lot about every other step in your manufacturing operation, do you know what is happening inside your oven?
The characteristics of baked goods are determined by the amount and type of heat applied to them during the baking process, and every oven bakes differently. Temperature profiling provides you with reliable data that will help you optimize your process, prove process control, and make corrections when required.
The benefits include:
- Better control of product quality
- Better control of product consistency
- Increased productivity
- Reduction of energy consumption and costs
- Improves process repeatability
- Quick troubleshooting
How to Measure Oven Temperature
The SCORPION® 2 Temperature Sensor Array is designed to measure temperature at product level, in fixed positions across the conveyor, and deliver a true representation of what your product is experiencing over time.
Different types of pluggable sensors are available, including one designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors and one for open mesh conveyors:
- Type A: This Air/Conveyor sensor is designed to measure air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the surface temperature of the conveyor itself. It is designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors. One thermocouple in each pair measures air temperature while the other is spring-loaded down onto the conveyor surface.
- Type B: This Air/Air sensor measures upper air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the temperature of the lower air that is rising through the conveyor. It was created for open mesh conveyors. The upper and lower thermocouples are separated by a thin shield.
The sensor array is connected to the SCORPION® 2 Data Logging Measurement System and travels through the oven with the product, yielding a precise picture of temperature from side-to-side and end-to-end.
After gathering the data, the SCORPION® Software (SV8) Food Safety Module will simplify the calculation of lethality and generate a comprehensive report that displays cumulative log reduction.
There are four essential oven baking parameters – temperature, air velocity, heat flux, and humidity – that are interconnected and work together to control the quality of your final products. Once you invest in the full-featured SCORPION® 2 Data Logger, you can add smart sensors at any time to explore the other oven variables.
To bake your products to perfection, consider the innovative SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger from Reading Thermal with temperature sensors and other sensors that can help you achieve excellent results. Call our headquarters in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania at (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2, or contact us online to learn more about our innovative products.