Troubleshooting your large-scale commercial baking ovens is simplified when you choose the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger from Reading Thermal. Our innovative sensors and sensor arrays will help you explore what is happening inside and help you improve your products and processes.
Reading Thermal, located in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, has focused on studying, measuring, and understanding the commercial baking process for over 25 years. Our SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger is a baking industry standard and provides you with an easy way to monitor actual in-process oven conditions.
Why Oven Profiling is Important
Oven profiling is essential if you have issues with consistency or product quality. For example:
- Too little heat during baking can cause crusts to be brittle or dry, structures that are too dense, or products that are too light in color.
- Too much heat causes moisture to evaporate too fast and the dough to rise unevenly. It can also cause loaf bottoms to burn before the crusts are properly browned.
- High oven humidity can prevent baked goods from burning and lighten crust color.
- Lower humidity usually produces crustier bread.
- Too little humidity in a cracker oven causes excess blisters that burn easily, causing undesirable dark spots.
- Excessive heat fluxes in industrial tunnel ovens can yield poor quality products in terms of color, texture, height, crust hardness, crumb moisture, and flavor.
- Air velocity influences the final product’s texture, firmness, coloration, and baking time.
With the Reading Thermal SCORPION® 2 Temperature Sensor Array, you can measure temperature at product level, in fixed positions across the conveyor, and get an accurate representation of what your product is experiencing over time. Different pluggable sensors are available, including one for solid or tight mesh conveyors and one for open mesh conveyors.
Measuring Air Velocity
Measure and record air flow with the SCORPION® 2 Air Velocity Sensor. The sensor array delivers a precise picture of airflow patterns inside the oven. The sensors collect product-level data as the array travels through the oven. The number of sensors varies with the width of the conveyor.
The new SCORPION® 2 Digital Humidity Sensor enables you to measure the moisture content of the thermal environment during your heating and cooling processes. It applies to proofers, ovens, dryers, and cooling tunnels.
Measuring Heat Flux
The SCORPION® 2 Heat Flux Sensor measures convective and radiant heat fluxes at product level and displays the results in Btu/hr·ft2 or W/m2. The sensor travels through the process with the product, and the oven under full load, producing a detailed profile of heat flux components experienced by the product.
When your large-scale baking ovens require troubleshooting, consider the innovative SCORPION® 2 Profiling System from Reading Thermal. Contact us online or call us at (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2 to learn more.