When you need the very best data-logging technology for your industrial bakery oven, look no further than Reading Thermal. Our SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger can help you make adjustments that will achieve superior products.
The heat transfer experts at Reading Thermal, headquartered in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, have been studying, measuring, and understanding the commercial baking process for over 25 years.
By connecting our different smart sensors and sensor arrays to the SCORPION® 2 Data Logger and passing them through the oven with your product, the measurement system can capture the four main baking parameters: temperature of the environment (including the temperature of both the air and the oven belt surface), heat flux (energy transfer), humidity and air flow (velocity).
Why Profile Your Commercial Oven?
Oven profiling is important for product quality and consistency, for example:
- Insufficient heat during baking can cause crusts to be brittle or dry, and can create products that are too light in color and structures that are too dense.
- Excessive heat will cause moisture to evaporate too quickly, and the dough to rise unevenly. It can also cause the bottoms of loaves to burn before the crusts brown correctly.
- High oven humidity can lighten the crust color of baked goods and prevent them from burning.
- Lower humidity typically results in crustier bread.
- Lack of humidity in a cracker oven cause excess blisters to develop, which burn easily, causing undesirable dark spots.
- Excessive heat fluxes in industrial tunnel ovens can yield poor quality products in terms of color, texture, height, crust hardness, crumb moisture, and flavor.
- Air velocity influences the coloration, texture, firmness, and baking time of the final product.
Data Logging & Analysis
The SCORPION® 2 Profiling System enables you to monitor actual in-process conditions and get the critical information you need to correct problems and maintain optimum process control. This powerful diagnostic tool is valued by commercial bakeries around the globe for understanding and improving bakery proofing, baking, cooling, and freezing processes, and for FSMA kill-step validation.
Following data collection, the profiles are downloaded from the Data Logger to a PC for analysis with the proprietary SCORPION® Software Version 8 (SV8), which takes data analysis to a whole new level, making it easier than ever to understand the data collected from your process.
Developed specifically to support the latest SCORPION® 2 hardware, SV8 also maintains compatibility and can be used with the older SCORPION® data loggers dating back to 1990. While significantly enhanced, it retains traditional on-screen displays so that existing SV7 Users can easily transition to SV8 without having to relearn the data analysis/interpretation process.
The impact of temperature, air flow, heat flux, and humidity in your industrial bakery oven can have a major impact on the quality and consistency of your products. Reading Thermal’s data-logging technology can help you bake your products to perfection. Contact us online, or call us at (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2 to learn more about our innovative products.