When you need to measure high temperature in your industrial ovens, the state-of-the-art Reading Thermal SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger offers you an easy way to monitor actual in-process oven conditions.
Reading Thermal, a product brand of Reading Bakery Systems, is located in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania. Our heat transfer experts have been studying, measuring, and understanding the commercial baking process for 25+ years. We manufacture and support the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger which has become a standard in the baking industry.
Connecting our innovative smart sensors and sensor arrays to the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System and Data Logger and passing them through the oven with your product enables the system to capture the four main baking parameters:
- Temperature (including the temperature of both the air and the oven belt surface)
- Heat flux (energy transfer)
- Airflow (velocity).
Why Temperature Profiling is Important?
Product level temperature throughout an oven can make the difference between optimum quality and throughput – and wasteful, under-baked, or burnt product. The process of fermentation, product swelling, moisture evaporation, flavor development, and surface coloring are all time and temperature dependent. For example:
- Too little heat while baking can cause crusts to be brittle or dry,
- Too little heat while baking can create products that are too light in color.
- Too little heat while baking can create a structure that is too dense.
- Excessive heat while baking can cause the bottoms of the loaves to burn before the crusts brown correctly.
- Excessive heat while baking causes moisture to evaporate too rapidly and the dough to rise unevenly.
If you produce bread, artisan bread, buns, rolls. biscuits, cakes, or other bread products, you understand that several stages of the process are temperature-dependent, including oven-spring, drying/dehydration, and color formation.
Measuring Oven Temperature
The SCORPION® 2 Temperature Sensor Array is designed to measure temperature at product level, in fixed positions across the conveyor, and deliver a true representation of what your product is experiencing over time.
Different types of pluggable sensors are available, including one designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors and one for open mesh conveyors:
- Type A: This Air/Conveyor sensor is designed to measure air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the surface temperature of the conveyor itself. It is designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors. One thermocouple in each pair measures air temperature while the other is spring-loaded down onto the conveyor surface.
- Type B: This Air/Air sensor measures upper air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the temperature of the lower air that is rising through the conveyor. It was created for open mesh conveyors. The upper and lower thermocouples are separated by a thin shield.
The sensor array is connected to the SCORPION® 2 Data Logging Measurement System and travels through the oven with the product, yielding a precise picture of temperature from side-to-side and end-to-end.
When your industrial ovens call for monitoring high temperatures, consider the state-of-the-art SCORPION® 2 Data Logger with Temperature Sensor Array from Reading Thermal. Contact us online or call us at (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2 to learn more about them.