If your commercial bakery is experiencing inconsistent product quality, monitoring the uniformity of the oven temperature with Reading Thermal’s SCORPION® 2 Profiling System, sensors, and data recorder will help you bake with confidence.
Headquartered in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, Reading Thermal has been studying, measuring, and understanding the commercial baking process for more than 25 years. We manufacture and support the SCORPION® 2 Profiling System which has become a standard in the baking industry and is relied upon by customers around the globe.
The Importance of Temperature Profiling
The quality of your finished products will depend upon the performance of your oven. While you may know a lot about every other step in your manufacturing operation, do you know what is happening inside your oven?
The characteristics of baked goods are determined by the amount and type of heat applied to them during the baking process, and every oven bakes differently. Temperature profiling provides you with reliable data that will help you optimize your process, prove process control, and make corrections when required.
The benefits include:
- Better control over product quality
- Better control over product consistency
- Greater productivity
- Reduction of energy consumption and costs
- Improved process repeatability
- Fast troubleshooting
Measuring Oven Temperature
The SCORPION® 2 Temperature Sensor Array is designed to measure temperature at product level, in fixed positions across the conveyor, and deliver a true representation of what your product is experiencing over time.
Different types of pluggable sensors are available, including one designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors and one for open mesh conveyors:
- Type A: This Air/Conveyor sensor is designed to measure air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the surface temperature of the conveyor itself. It is designed for solid or tight mesh conveyors. One thermocouple in each pair measures air temperature while the other is spring-loaded down onto the conveyor surface.
- Type B: This Air/Air sensor measures upper air temperature immediately above the conveyor, and the temperature of the lower air that is rising through the conveyor. It was created for open mesh conveyors. The upper and lower thermocouples are separated by a thin shield.
The sensor array is connected to the SCORPION® 2 Data Logging Measurement System and travels through the oven with the product, yielding a precise picture of temperature from side-to-side and end-to-end.
Reading Thermal SCORPION® Profiling Service
If you are experiencing inconsistent product quality, moisture retention, uneven bakes, or low production capacity, Reading Thermal offers the SCORPION® Profiling Service to assist customers at their own locations with problem-solving.
We use the SCORPION® Data Logger to collect thermal profiles of temperature (air, band, product), air velocity, heat flux, and humidity. We can analyze a single line or perform multi line comparison studies to determine what is causing problematic processing conditions and produce solutions.
Call Reading Thermal at (610) 678-5890 Ext. 2, or contact us online to learn more about our state-of-the-art temperature recorder for your commercial bakery oven.